MBA HealthGroup https://www.mbahealthgroup.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/mba-healthgroup-logo21.png MBA HealthGroup2014-03-11 13:27:492015-11-23 19:24:09EHR Staffing. Face it, you need help.
EHR Staffing. Face it, you need help.
This day and age of the EHR, Meaningful Use, Patient-Centered Medical Home, and Accountable Care Organizations, do you find yourself asking if you should consider staffing with consultants? What do consultants offer? How do I find the right consultant? What are the costs and benefits to hiring a consultant? My providers are not happy, is there a way to make my providers more efficient? If you are asking yourself these questions, you will find some of the answers below.
Evaluating EHR Staffing Needs – 4 Common Questions
1. Why hire a consultant?
- They have a specialized skill set that your currently team doesn’t possess.
- Your project is not progressing as quickly as you had planned.
- You have implemented an electronic medical record and adoption continues to be a struggle, which is affecting revenue.
- A manager/supervisor has given their notice and you don’t have someone ready to step in.
- You are looking to put a team together to implement electronic medical record.
- The organization needs help with Meaningful Use, Patient-Centered Medical Home, or ACO setup, audit preparation documentation or on-going maintenance.
- A software upgrade is on the horizon and must be completed in a short period of time.
2. What do consultants offer?
- Many possess specialized skills you need on your team either for a short or long period of time.
- Proven, yet flexible, methodology appropriate for the task.
- These individuals are objective and will ask the tough questions.
- Due to their extensive knowledge, they have the ability to generate creative solutions, pulling from previous experiences and modifying proven solutions.
- A new face in your organization gives them the ability to gather data within ethical limits without revealing the ultimate use.
- System Build and workflow optimization
- An outside individual can lead the brainstorming to help build or restructure your internal team(s).
- Implementation and development of tools to aid in roll out to new clinics can be done in a short period of time.
- Product-specific knowledge specific of the implementation and support of your EHR could be invaluable.
- Content experts possess expert knowledge of Meaningful Use, Patient-Centered Medical Home, and Accountable Care Organization requirements.
3. What are the benefits of hiring a consultant?
- No cost of training
- Accountability for results
- Projects can get implemented faster
- Allow more patients to be seen in the same amount of time by identifying ways to improve workflows
- Built in education to the current members of the team
4. How do I find the right consultants?
- Consultants aren’t all created equal. We recommend you interview them to find a consultant who will fit your organization needs.
- When interviewing them, look for someone who:
- Possesses the skills you are looking for – don’t be afraid to have them demo how they would complete a certain task.
- Worked for other clients and can bring different experiences to the table
- Ask for an example of a time they had to make a change that was difficult for the organization. How did they go about it? Was it successful?
- Ask for an example when a client had a workflow or process that was less than optimal and weren’t willing to make change. Did they present their improved workflow? What was the outcome?